Life is Beautiful

Monday, March 29, 2010

People Need Hope, People Need Lovin'

I should be studying for my Doctrine and Covenants test. I'm clearly procrastinating. You think I would learn by now. But alas. So instead, I'm giving myself 15 minutes to write and sing ABBA gems while I do so. Because that's how I roll.

This past weekend (March 27th), I went to the Krishna Lotus Temple out in Spanish Fork for the Hare Krishna Festival of Colours. For those unfamiliar with the event, it is the celebration of the early life of Krishna and his divine power. When he was 5, an evil witch (BABY KILLER. see facebook album tags), who was supposedly invincible to the flames and had killed hundreds of babies by walking through fire, took Krishna through the fire but because of his divinity and faith, he was spared and she was killed. The Festival of Colours commemorates this event as well as the welcoming of Spring. The festival begins with the burning of the effigy, which has a figure of the Witch on it, and while the effigy is burning, people throw colours at one another to represent Spring and also to hide differences so that all are equal and all are united.

This was my second year attending the festival and it was bliss. I am not a pagan worshipper and I am devoted in my faith, do not misunderstand me. It was just beautiful to have so many people there (over 15,000 throughout the day) who were all beautifully coloured and laughing and smiling and dancing and singing and enjoying the beautiful spring day. I was deeply impressed by the whole event, to say the least, and gained a strong respect and appreciation for the Hindu religion and their beliefs. Though I didn't agree with everything that was preached, I did love good attitude that there is a common thread that unites us a humans; we all live, we all breathe, we all want the best and we all love. And that's an incredibly beautiful thing.

I know a lot of people disagree with members of other faiths going to this festival. One of my roommates was having a horrible time with some of the boys she works with who were calling it a pagan festival and chastising her for worshiping another god. But here's the thing: if we all lived that way, you can say goodbye to converts to the Church and goodbye to world peace. There's something great in being able to participate in another religions cultural and religious celebrations. I will forever hold dear a mass that I went to while in Paris because it was one of the most beautiful organ worships that I have ever been a part of. And I will forever cherish the opportunity I have had to welcome Spring and celebrate life at the Krishna Lotus Temple because it was a beautiful appreciation for life and love and a call for peace. I think the Hindus know just as well as I do that I'm not going to convert to Hinduism any time soon, but I don't think they would love me any less- I was there to learn about their culture and religion and to celebrate with them something that we both desire- love, peace, happiness and unity.

And I don't see anything wrong with that :)


Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Hare Hare Krishna Krishna
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Hare Hare Rama Rama

2 comments:

  1. truth comes in many forms. many modern prophets have spoken about tolerance.

    to deny that people of other faiths have truth and goodness in them is wrong. with a capital W.

    people tend to forget that joseph smith started in other churches......

    ReplyDelete