Life is Beautiful

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I remember when I was really into nostalgia

For the last few nights, I haven't been able to sleep. There's nothing in particular that's keeping me awake, just something. Because I've been up until odd hours in the night (it's currently 2:53am), I've had a lot of time to think and more than anything, remember. Memories and feelings that I haven't thought of or felt in a while just come rushing through my head and heart.
Sigmund Freud asserted that within the human mind, there are things that come in (external events) and things we put in our mind by ourselves (internal events). Both of these events have the psychological need to be bound or compartmentalized in order for us to understand our world and more importantly, how we relate to the world and where we place ourselves in it.
Though Freud has been disproved for many years now, I feel like there's some truth to his theories. As I've sat here with my memories, I've realized that I need to place them, to decide what I want to do with them and to square them away with myself. I know I sound crazy, and it's likely that Freud would think I am, but I like to think of it more as a spring cleaning. I've known for a while that I've needed to clear my head, to sort it out, to talk to those who I need to talk to, and to let my thoughts align with where I'm at in my life.

And I feel good now. The memories, the feelings, they're all where I want them now- secured in the past.

And now, I think I feel sleepy. I think I shall go to bed :)


and for your viewing pleasure (and because I feel like I give credence when it's due), here's a clip from Demetri Martin- it's kinda long, but enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2eUPak76hY&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment