Life is Beautiful

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tender Mercies

Today in Church, I was sitting near two families with little children. I love little children, I really do and sometimes when Sacrament gets a little on the dull side (my fault for not paying better attention), I tend to watch what the children are doing because most times, it's entertaining. Today, however, I learned something that I want to share with the rest of you.
One of the little girls from one family (she's about 2) was walking around and happened to spot the little girl behind her (she's about 5). They started talking and the 5 year-old brought out these little books. Her mom whispered to her, "open the book and show it to her". So the 5 year-old opened the book and held it so the little one could see. She pointed to the pictures, explained who the characters were and why she liked them. She was so happy to share her books, completely fearless, and wanted the little 2 year-old to understand how much her books meant to her. It was incredibly precious.
It made me think about how we as adults share thing. I'm sure you've all recommended a book, a movie, some kind of music, etc. to someone at one point in your life. We share these things because we really like them and we want other people to like them too. Usually, we're not shy about it and it makes us happy to share with our friends.
But how often do we share our religion like that? Do we open to our favourite Book of Mormon or Bible story and share with our friends who the characters are and why we like them? Do we invite our friends to listen to General Conference with us or to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or special music programs? Do we share our testimony about how happy the Gospel makes us and how much it means to us?

I am a terrible member missionary. I love this Gospel and I love going to Church, but when it comes to inviting others, I completely freeze and clam up. While watching these little children today, I finally understood what Christ meant when he said to be as little children. I need to have the courage and the unconditional love for my fellow man, I need to open up my mouth and share what I know is true and why it means so much to me, I need to be like a little child and invite others so they can have the same happiness that I've had my whole life.
I'm so grateful for the Gospel, for the tender reminders I have each day that my Heavenly Father loves me and that Jesus Christ has atoned for my sins so that I can return to live with them. I love my family and am so grateful that I am sealed to my family and my husband for time and eternity. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God, that he loves us all so much, that he receives revelation, and that I love him dearly. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet, I admire his endurance and patience, and am so grateful for all that he sacrificed so that I can be a member of the Church. I know the Book of Mormon is true, I love the happiness and calmness that I feel each time I read. I am grateful for the Bible, for all that it teaches me, and for the examples of love therein. I'm grateful for the gift of prayer, that I can get on my knees and pray to my Heavenly Father, knowing He hears me and knowing that He will help me. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the restored Church on the earth today and I am so grateful to be a member. The Church is true; I know it and I cannot deny it. And I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment