Life is Beautiful

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Something

I'm not one to feel spiritual promptings all the time. I mean, I know the Church is true and I love the gospel, but I have very few spiritual experiences where I've been prompted to do something, you know? Call me unrighteous, call me whatever you want (just don't call me late for dinner!... i'll show myself out..), but that's just not how my spirituality rolls most of the time.

So today, I was driving home from my best friend Cait's bridal shower and I was straight-up on EMPTY. This happens a lot because I suck at filling up my tank (ask Casey. it drives him insane). So given said state of gas, I decided to get off an exit earlier than usual so I could stop at the Maverick to fill up. 

I'm driving like I do and I passed this woman who was walking near the freeway overpass. She was hugely pregnant and ps guys- it was hotter than hell outside today. And I felt this tingly feeling in my chest and I knew I had to pull over.
Here's the thing about spiritual promptings: Usually when I get them, it's frequently in a situation where I think, "WHAAAAAAT??? I DON'T WANNNAAAA". Rational Brain was like, "Kristin. Think about this. You don't know this woman. She's probably an escaped convict from Chateau d'If. This is an unsafe situation. Repeat, UNSAFE." But Spiritual Brain was like, "Just do it. You need to do it and it's the right thing."

Today, I listened to Spiritual Brain and I pulled over. I had barely rolled down my window when the woman said, "Oh my goodness! I was hoping someone would help me!". She climbed into my car, we stopped to fill up my gas tank, and I drove her to the nearest Frontrunner station. Turns out, her name was Brandy, she lived in Salt Lake and was down in my town visiting a friend. She was totally lost and had no idea how to get back to SLC. She was also 8 months pregnant and in extreme discomfort because she had been walking for the better part of an hour.

Imma be real with you: I was scared and often in situations like these, I listen to Rational Brain because Rational Brain is way louder and bossier than Spiritual Brain, even though I know Spiritual Brain is right.

I was really grateful I listened today. This woman really needed help. She told me she has social anxiety (which I totally relate to) and that she wasn't sure how she was going to make it home. If I hadn't stopped, I'm sure someone else would have, but I was really glad it was me. I felt really good afterwards. and that was nice :)

1 comment: