Life is Beautiful

Sunday, May 19, 2013

MONUMENTAL GIRL STUFF

I know it's been a long time. and I know that there's probably some other shiz that I should blog about.

but guys.

this has to be blogged about ASAP. (also please ignore the late hour. Things happen and I stay up late.)

I've never really been good at Hair Stuff and/or Girl Stuff in general. I didn't start wearing make up until high school, I didn't own my own straightener until my sophomore year of college, and the blanket statement, "Kristin sucks at making herself look presentable" could easily have been made until maybe my junior year of college. I just did not care about stuff like that. I was happy with baggy jeans, my hoodie, and letting my hair do whatever it felt like because it didn't matter to me.

so. fast forward to college when i realized that this was a little bit of a problem. thankfully, i had girl roommates who knew how to do Girl Stuff. I watched them like crazy (ultra-creepy style) and learned how to do the very minimal Girl Stuff. This included, but was not limited to: straightening my hair, how to use bobby pins, mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, not dressing like a dude, and headbands.

This has sustained me until present day so that people recognize that I am in fact a girl and that I can at least give the impression that I care about how I look and know what I'm doing with my face and stuff.

Until tonight. Guys. My life has just changed.

In the wee hours of the night, I tend to waste my time on Youtube. And for whatever reason, I felt like youtubing sock bun hair tutorials. I like the look and was curious about how it was done. (side note: i had no idea that you actually used a sock or donut to do those... blew my mind). So while watching this creeper lady demonstrate how to do a sock bun, I happened to see on the side margin a video called 'Beach Wave Tutorial with a flat iron'*.

A light bulb went on.

I have a flat iron. 
I could do this, dammit!

I watched the tutorial and it was super simple, which is totally my speed because ps- i have no idea how to curl my hair with my straightener (tried watching a tutorial on that... did not compute), and I also have no idea how to use a curling iron, so all signs were pointing to, YES-YOU CAN DO THIS.

The only thing left to do was try it. I went to my bathroom, plugged in my straightener, watched the tutorial again to make sure I knew what to do (honesty time: i was nervous. Hair Stuff makes me nervous), and went to work. and guess what?

I DID IT. SHAZAM.

it was like magic in that baƱo, like straight-up magic. Initially, it wasn't working like I thought it would and I was a little discouraged. but i though of my girl Sonja (who I am obsessed with) and decided that it was okay to fail at this. but i knew I could do it.

AND BAM. I DID IT.

my hair is now luscious and curly and looks glorious. granted, it is almost 3am so the only person who's going to see this glorious mane is Tilly, but still. I FRIGGIN DID IT. I also only burned myself twice, which is a major accomplishment considering that when I straighten my hair, I usually burn my fingers at least 4-6 times.

this might not seem like a big deal to you all, but this really is friggin huge for me. I've always wished I was better at Girl Stuff and Hair Stuff, but it's never been a strong point for me. This was the first time that I actually tried something and it worked. and it was a really good feeling, one of those, "I CAN DO HARD THINGS" moments.

So. take-home message: always try things you're not good at or things you find difficult because you might surprise yourself. and it's nice :)


* if you decide to watch this video, you've been warned: this girl's voice is kinda (SUPER) annoying. just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this. Yay Kris! And I have totally had moments where I'm like, "huh, i actually look kind of decent. But it's 2:00 am and time for bed"--the worst. But I am so proud of you! Keep it up and take a pic so I can see! Maybe you can try this one I saw once: you twist your hair as you're blow-drying it and ... oh wait, never mind ;) my bad.

    ReplyDelete